Wednesday, May 31, 2006

say something intelligent in espaniol.

I have to say that I have enjoyed working out in the fields so much more now that I have an amiga alongside me. Even though my back is just as sore and my fingers just as stained, the days seem shorter and the morning stretches seem a bit more bearable.
And we have been learning Spanish! "necessito mas ligas!" (I need more rubber bands). And of course any number from 5 to 37. Or this afternoon, just 'uno'
Sarah and I both finish working at 4 o'clock, since that makes an 8 hour day, and as much as we would like to make money for college, we don't really want to work 10 hours a day. So this afternoon, at about a quarter till four, we finished collecting cuttings from one section, and our supervisor told/motioned for us to climb into the pickup to ride to the next section we needed to work on. He drove in a few loops and finally ended up only about two aisles from where we started and by the time he had explained how exactly we needed to take cuttings (by using random English words such as "fat" and "elbow") we only had six minutes of the day left.
However, after Sarah used her one Spanish phrase, and he rattled off his own paragraph (something about his friend coming back later to pick us up), we began working and trying not to laugh about taking so much time to work for only a few more minutes.
Once we each had about half of a handful of cuttings, the same guy turns back around and parks at the end of our row and motions for us to climb back into the truck. He asks us how many we have, and after combining our handfuls, we call back that we only have one bunch. Only one?!? he asks. Yes, we try to explain, you have only been gone for a total of maybe 2.5 minutes.
But we calmly squeeze back into the cab, since it has now began to rain (and I can't remember what that is in Spanish anymore, something with two L's I think) and drive back to the shop.
At this point, since I'm the one plastered against the door, I try to pull the lever in order to get the door open. When I can't get it open however, I vaguely remember having to reach outside of the doors of both this vehicle and many of the others in order to get the passenger side open, so I try that, but we are still stuck in this tiny blue pickup.
Finally, our driver asks why we haven't gotten out yet, and, though Sarah and I are laughing hysterically, we try to get him to help us out. For some unknown reason, the man just sits there and watches us stuggle until finally, another guy on a tractor which is just passing by, gets down and easily and painlessly opens the door. Thank you, God, for good samaritans.
I think that just about every one of our co-workers daily wonders about Sarah's and my sanity. I think after eight hours bending over a field, just about anything can seem hilarious. But as Sarah put it this afternoon as we were stumbling out of the lunch room: "I will remember this day for the rest of my life! Actually just the last five minutes...I will remember the last five minutes of this day for the rest of my life!"

2 comments:

The Lyons said...

sounds like you guys are having too much fun! i miss you guys :o)adios amiga!

Elizabeth said...

You should've just flirted with the driver so he would let you out. haha - it sounds like something you wouldve thought of. :D