Wednesday, May 10, 2006

climatize to the warm humidity of a greenhouse.

I returned to the foreign country that is my backyard today. I suffered a change in language, music, climate...talk about culture shock. My back is also in shock, who knew that being a foot-and-a-half taller than your co-workers would affect you so much. Maybe its because I have to bend over an extra foot-and-a-half to reach the plants.

So to all of my fellow propagation girls: I miss you! Its so boring being the only one to speak English. I also felt extremely stupid (as always) standing in a big circle and stretching at 7:30 in the morning. Also: I have a confession to make: I sat on one of the pots. I couldn't help it, there was no room to actually sit on the ground and my knees and back couldn't take bending over any longer. Don't worry though, it wasn't for very long, and I don't think anyone saw me. So as soon as you girls can pull yourselves away from those exams and join me in the greenhouse the better. Oh by the way, not to cause you any dread or heartache, but we're not in the theater. Instead we're back to doing our cuttings the "new and improved" way. Out in the greenhouses and fields. But hey, when you're working with me, its gotta be fun right?

For the rest of you: you all can sleep well tonite. I successfully rid 34 flats of boxwood of liverwart, or whatever that slimy green stuff is. Whew. Good thing that's over. Oh and I smushed a wasp nest, so you're all safe from that too. Don't worry, there are no thanks needed.

2 comments:

Brenna said...

WHAT NO!! you have got to be kidding me! i am not going out in the field everyday to do cuttings, what was wrong with doing them where we used to, isn't that why they built that part? goodness me!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you killed the wasps. I dreamed that there was this thing on the ceiling with crickets falling out of it, but they turned out to be wasps and they stung me on the mouth and I went numb all over. Pretty much since then my dreams have regressed to dreams of flowers. corsages and half dozen vases and just flowers. I think I need a bit a variety so I don't get bored in my sleep.