Tuesday, September 13, 2005

stay away from the farmers (just kidding).

So last night, my friend Angela and I got so tired of sitting and trying to be too distracted to do homework that we went to the campus center to find some food. On the way back to the dorm we noticed tons of beautiful lightning across the entire sky. After bringing some of our things back to our rooms, we stepped back outside to watch the show. A few minutes later it began to sprinkle so we decided to go to the library for a few minutes to print out some homework. By the time we got to the outside door to head towards our dorm, it was pouring. We could see the wind pushing the rain, making it seem that it was raining even harder than it was, if that's even possible. We debated waiting it out or sending someone to bring us an umbrella, but finally I managed to drag Angela through the door. By the time we had made it the half block or so to our door, the two of us were completely soaked. We stumbled up the stairs to our room laughing and once we got there, Angela and my roomate decided that it would be fun to run back out in it. Of course, I am not one to miss out on excitement, so I followed along. At first being the tallest object in the middle of a parking lot in a lightning storm worried us, but the huge puddles were calling. Even though the rain slowed down after a little while, we continued to splash and run and of course twirl. By about 11:30 we finally came in for a hot shower, after which we were able to start our homework.
As far as other news, I've started working in the classroom for my education class. I'm mini-teaching in the second grade class of the local christian school. I usually go for about an hour and a half 4 times a week. So far I've done a lot of one-on-one stuff like flashcards and practicing spelling words. The kids are a lot of fun and the teacher is wonderful, but it's so weird to be called by my last name. I first introduced myself with just my first name but that's not what they want you to do. I think it will be a while before it doesn't throw me off when the kids call me "Miss". I'll only be working there for a few more weeks and then I can sleep in again. Oh and this morning, it was still raining so I borrowed a friend's car to go over to the school. But they have been working on the roads around campus and our parking lot was blocked in. I thought about driving up on the sidewalk to get to another parking lot, but the security is always making a huge deal about the fines that will be given out to people who do that. Finally I went in to talk to someone who told me just to do it and try not to get caught. I don't think I would have been as worried except that it wasn't my car and I really don't want to have to give up the little money I have. So anyway I finally made it to the road and then the stupid signs in this town threw me off yet again. They don't have numbers intersecting with letters like most normal cities. The have numbers that are placed and repeated randomly intersecting with more random numbers. "just don't pay attention to the street signs" my roomate tells me. The problem is that there isn't a whole lot of ways to figure out how to go anywhere without street names, that's why they have them, especially since all the houses look the same. So I did actually manage to make it to the elementary school only a few minutes late and I made it back on time to school, so I probably shouldn't complain too much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog - it's good to keep up on Sarah's friends! :)

Your rainy venture sounds like fun! Stay away from those lightning bolts!! Call us sometime.

Leanne said...

Sounds like we better hurry up on the renewal of your auto insurance. Is that midnight homework pattern going to impact your good student discount???

Sarah said...

hey girl-sounds like to much fun.
Twirling! I am so jealous! Hey I am listening to Wicked right now and thinking of you! Love forever!
~Sarah