Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ever have that sinking feeling that someone is awkwardly close behind you? Like you're walking along minding your own business, and some random person does not have the social graces to give you your space on the sidewalk?

Well that's how I felt yesterday. Except different.

I had a load of laundry in the dryer at the laundromat in the center of our apt. complex, so I started off with my little laundry bag, enjoying the beautifully warm sun and clear sky in the afternoon. And after about 20 steps out of my building I hear this little plop a few feet behind me on the sidewalk. I turned around. nothing. I looked up nothing but the sun, and a few clouds that seemed to have suddenly appeared. So I kept walking.

A few more steps and I heard another plop to my left. This one was close, like 6 inches. Still nothing. Then I felt a little drip on my arm. I started walking faster and suddenly noticed that the sun was gone. I had only walked about 40 steps and I was surrounded by dark, heavy clouds.

As you can guess. By the time I made it to my destination it had begun raining. With no warning. And on the way back? I ran, carrying my load of newly dry laundry through a flash flood! I knew spending a buck on a load in the dryer was a waste of money. I was soaked by the time I got home.

When I made it to my front door, I found Ryan, standing, waiting with his bike, and listening to the pouring rain on the roof. Let's just say he was pretty thankful when I offered to drive him to class.


Now being a native Oregonian, you would think that I would not be one to be caught off guard by a little rain. But in Oregon it's different. There's always these little warning signals. First, the air cools off for a couple of days. Then, the clouds come. After a few more days the air feels a little bit damp. Then it rains.

I have to get used to sun one minute and storm the next. I also need to get used to my high heels doubling as small wading pools.

No comments: