Wednesday, June 07, 2006

read the signs.

Signs are usually posted for a specific purpose. Now of course, many of these purposes are meaningless and pointless. However, some signs are in fact very useful. (Don't worry, I didn't get a parking ticket or run a red light) The only problem: I can't read spanish, therefore, I can't read signs that are in spanish. But oh wait! It seems that I'm still very much responsible for carrying out the instructions found on spanish signs...that I don't understand. And I still get reprimanded for not wearing safety glasses while working on the potting machine, because it clearly states (in spanish) that anyone operating this machine should be wearing safety glasses. "See?" The guy says, "You need glasses. It says on the sign. It says in Spanish...see?" And he reads off the spanish sign. Oh, I think, that sure clears things up. Now that I still don't know what the sign says. All I know is just to nod and smile and put on the glasses. Even though when I put them on I can't see through all the grime and smudges, so I'm more likely to do harmful things like lose my hand or forget to turn off the mixer. (Ok so I can't blame leaving the mixer long enough to overflow the tub with soil on the glasses, but it must have had to do with the confusion of the sign or something.)
Another observation: I know why everyone opens the boxes of pots upsidedown. The top of the box reads in bold letters: open this side up. But again. Wrong language. This time its in English, while I'm pretty sure that just about everyone opening those boxes reads Spanish much better than English.
So I've come to the conclusion that signs in general are pretty close to worthless. How many people actually pay attention to all of the signs around them, much less read them and follow them. That is, if they can read them. Oh except 'stop' signs and 'deadly waterfall 30 feet' signs those ones probably do serve a little purpose.

2 comments:

The Lyons said...

where have you seen the 30' waterfall signs? ya, those safety glasses were kind of annoying. However, they can hold your hair back well.

Anonymous said...

Geron, Geron, Geron... lol, you're blogs never cease to amuse me... haha. This one just reminded me of a sign I saw while I was stranded in a California rest stop for 9 hours, and I must share... there were warning signs for rattle snakes... In theory, people would use caution and avoid the areas where snakes might be, but in MY case, I just freaked out! lol, I hate snakes, with a passion I hate them... loathe is probably a more fitting word, but anyway, I would have much preferred the sign not be there so I would have had no knowledge about the presence of snakes, so if one decided to attack me, I'd die surprised and avoid the terrible anticipation of it all... So there is my experience with signs :) Hope all is well, and I really don't understand how you aren't fluent in Spanish after all this time... lol you must just like all the humor you find in not knowing it, so have no real incentive to learn it.. haha but I don't blame you, gotta entertain yourself some how right??? love ya!

Jami