Sorry, but I'm going to vent:
So I have a general class that is designed to introduce freshman to the college life and routine. I understand the usefulness of it in the first month or even six weeks, but all semester? Basically its ridiculous. The professor is also my advisor and is very different from anyone I've met. Last week we had a one on one meeting to discuss how things are going and talk about the upcoming class registration, she told me that I was emitting negative engergies when I was in her class and I should probably think about leaving them at the door. What exactly is a negative energy and how am I supposed to "leave it at the door?" This has become the joke that I probably will never stop hearing. Whenever I'm upset about anything, my friends tell me, you know, you really need to just get rid of those bad energies, there really getting in the way right now. So as you can see, this is not my favorite class. So today I realized that I needed to write another pointless journal on a book that is, well... (after my first few journals, I learned that the author is actually a prof on campus so I'm not really supposed to say the things about the book that I first did). Usually I read the chapter and take something to write my opinion about, like I'm supposed to, or so I thought. But tonite, I found that my prof has posted feedback on all my previous journals. Apparently, my journals have been too academic...what? Personally, I thought that since I am well in college that I should probably at least attempt to write somewhat intellegently. Obviously not. She told me that I wasn't making it readable for the average audience...of what fourth graders? and that I wasn't relating it to my personal life...its not a letter to my best friend, its a journal to some prof I've only met a few months ago, and that I don't particularly want to spill my heart out to. So I, again, read... well skimmed... well looked over the chapter and then tried to make some lame personal note about how I hate some of my other classes. For the main part of it I tried to do everything I was ever taught about writing a paper and be very non-academic...aka, I wrote like a ten yr old. I love college!
2 comments:
Even though those classes seem lame and pointless, the real reason why they have classes like that? Freshmen retention. As in, keep tabs on students and make sure that they don't drop out of school. Having spoken with a college faculty member who's proper title is "Student Retention Adviser," I learned that sometimes they intentionally have all the students do something that they might find ridiculous just so that they can all bond together about how ridiculous the assignment is. Might sound hokey, but in the end it is generally a good idea.
Probably doesn't make you feel better, but that's the background story for freshmen orientation stuff.
Hang in there!
maybe you could get your counselor to start blogging, then he/she wouldn't have so much time to terrorize the students into being more academic or personable
Post a Comment