Tuesday, September 05, 2006

defend my easy homework.

I have suffered through 19 hours of sitting in a hard chair, but I still get continually mocked about being an El Ed major. "all you do in class is glue cotton balls to colored paper!" "Have you learned 2 + 2 yet in the math class of yours?" Somehow none of my friends realize that they are going to someday put the lives of their own children in my hands. Plus, I am not learning elementary math, I'm learning how to teach elementary math, and I'm not spending my hours gluing and coloring and finger painting...I'm saving that class for next term. And however difficult this is, I will admit that some of my classes are somewhat slack, those in which we discuss the best ways to place a group of desks in a classroom or how to effectively break ourselves into groups. But compared to the sample of the health, physical education, and recreation major that I've experienced in my general PE course, education should be more quickly related to engineering. Recreation? PE? Talk about a major that brings its student to their fullest expectations, like how many brain cells does it take to...well maybe I should stop there: I've made a goal this year to make as few enemies as possible, and I really need to get started on that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Another benefit on the horizon for Ed majors is one free daily Dutch Brothers for teachers. Your sis is loving that perk! However you will have to open a DB franchise in the midwest.

Geron Leigh said...

Dev gets free Dutch Bros? Are you kidding me? that spoiled girl! When I get home for Christmas, we're going to have to spend some quality time in the drive thru together.

Hannah said...

And then when you get out in the real world, some of what you learned will be useful, but prepare to learn a lot from the school secretary. They know everything of practical value. Like what to do when you lock your keys in your office. And how to run the copy machine (for the third time!).