So I went home this weekend. Well not really home, but to my second home: my grandma's house. Usually I never worry about making plans when I go up there because there are so many people to visit that there is always somthing to do. However, when I got there on Friday night, I drove from house to house only to find everyone's lights turned off and most of the doors locked (which is actually more of a suprise that you might think--the doors being locked that is). So I finally decided that I would just crash at grandma's house and get a head start on homework and watch Monk and What Not to Wear. It ended up being very relaxing and refreshing considering the last time I had an entire room much less a house to myself was...uh, I have no idea.
Saturday consisted of making bars and eating pizza. My grandma was convinced that she was going to teach me how to bake...I think that she finally decided that I just need a few follow-up lessons in the next few weeks. You wouldn't think I could mess up something like Tosha Bars, which are graham crackers, carmel and chocolate, but guess what? I can! She told me that as soon as the carmel started boiling I need to check the clock and only let it boil for two minutes. But we were talking...so...all of the sudden she looks over and: 'Did you check the clock?' um no grandma, you were asking about my life, the clock was the farthest thing from my mind. 'Okay, what does the clock on the microwave say? 2:46? Ok, what time will it be in 2 minutes? 2:48? you need to make sure to turn off the stove then ok?' A few seconds later the hand that was stirring the carmel was the only part of my body that had any connection with the baking that was going on in the room. So of course a few minutes later: 'I think its probably been close to 2 mintues, did you check the clock?' I look at the clock and its 2:50. Thankfully my grandma is forgiving and my friends here at school are so deprived of home cooking that they will eat anything.
The rest of the weekend was pretty much made up of trying to catch up on my reading homework, napping and eating. I brought back a cardboard box and a paper bag full of homemade food! I think I might want to invest in a lock for my fridge.
2 comments:
Ah, boil two minutes. Good to know. I got that recipe without that little detail, and I've been trying to figure out why I can't quite get it right. :)
wow, that sounds like what happens to me when I try to bake. I miss you. Can't wait to see you again, have a great week. Love Forever.
~Sarah
Post a Comment