Thursday, August 20, 2009

the true adventures of an unemployed newlywed.

Ryan often wonders what I do while he is away at class. I tell him about the piles of laundry I conquered, the resumes I handed out, and the lists of necessities that I purchased at Target. However, he usually looks at me and tilts his head as if he doesn't believe a word.

So today I decided I would surprise him. I shuffled through all of the recipes that I could find to get one that matched up with the ingredients that I actually had in my pantry/coat closet, and finally I found one: chocolate chip cookies, just like on the back of the chocolate chip bag.

However, I soon remembered that I don't have a mixer yet. I thought for a few minutes about whether mixing by hand was worth it or not. But then I looked at the chocolate chips and the picture on the recipe, and thought about warm, deliciousness (ok, i was making the cookies for me, not just for ryan). So I turned on my ipod and pulled out a bowl and spoon. 

Now the whole cooking thing isn't usually in my daily activities. I try to follow recipes, but they're so darn picky. I just throw everything in and hope for the best (It's a good thing I never took home ec in high school, because it probably would have ruined my gpa). How important is it really to mix this with this and that with that before putting them all together?


I mean, I was wearing my most adorable apron, so what could go wrong?

I soon remembered the reason they make an electric mixer, and the key word "softened" that is often placed before the word "butter" apparently is important. But not to worry, I have plenty of new wooden spoons, spatulas, and forks. 


And I made sure to eat enough dough to make up for all of the calories that I was using by hand mixing.

Surprisingly, my timing was for once ideal. Just as my hard working law student walked in the door, the timer beeped on the oven. For some reason, the cookies came out strangely square and flat, perhaps because I underestimated the size of the cookie sheet. But he didn't seem to mind. 

He ate them so fast that I couldn't even get a picture of his delighted face. I had to make him stop and pose.
He better not get too used to my scrumptious kitchen adventures though, because I think its all out of my system. Back to sandwiches.

2 comments:

cmb said...

I agree, that is a REALLY cute apron:)

Elizabeth said...

what a cute little wifey you are.