Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Grandmother's wisdom

Over the four years that I was in college, I was able to spend some extra time with my extended family. During this time, one of my wise grandmothers taught me a simple secret to happiness in marriage:

Don't ever ask your husband whether he likes or dislikes what you cook him. Instead, just ask him whether he would like you to make this meal again.

It seems like a simple rewording of the same question, but it makes all of the difference for a happy husband and a happy wife (or so my grandmother would argue). This way, the husband doesn't feel quite the same pressuring glare of a sweaty and tired out cook as he is eating his cold and squashed vegetable medley. He can simply say that he is very thankful for all the work that was put into this dish. On the other hand, he can give the same praise and adoration of a meal well presented. In theory.

Now with my mediocre cooking skills and the generous amount of time on my hands these days, this question seems to be a vital one at the dinner table. It is always asked in a quiet voice and with large eyes, hoping for the best. But, congratulations to myself, I have done quite well, and gotten votes of confidence from the law student as well. (thankfully he didn't notice the half cup of cooked rice that I spilt all over the floor today--gross. But I didn't put it back in, don't worry). "Definitely," he says, with his mouth full, "you should definitely make this again." 

I also feel that my cooking is wonderfully delicious, it would make my grandmother proud.