Wednesday, August 12, 2009

dolphins, jellyfish and fighter jets.

We are no longer on the Pacific. 

The smell of salt in the air, the seafood shacks, the sand between sidewalk squares. All of these almost make me feel at home. That is until we went all the way down to the beach and felt the burning sand and warm waves. I'm used to swimming in the frigid melted-ice-river that runs past our house and just barely putting my toes into the cold ocean water. But now we're able to dive into the refreshing Atlantic, only after wading through beach towels and huge umbrellas and life guards. None of which belong at my beloved nye beach.

After getting several tastes of the salty water and learning to ride in the big waves to the shore, Ryan and I saw splashing just a few hundred feet out in the water. After a little watching, we discovered that there was a pod of dolphins (dolphins come in pods, right?) They were jumping and splashing and blowing up into the air. At our first sight of live, wild dolphins, we weren't sure if we should get out of the water or swim out to meet them. But they made the decision and started swimming in closer so we could have a better look. 

Now I'm a terrible judge of distance, but these dolphins came in close, I could swear that I heard them clicking and chirping. Ryan even tried to use his valuable echo location abilities to bring them in closer. (it was unsuccessful). But however far they were we got a great view, I just wish I had stopped gawking and ran up to the beach to grab my camera. (This would be something my wise mother would have done).

A few minutes later, I did get out of the water after I saw a graceful blob of jelly floating around with his tentacles dancing. I'm hoping those aren't common around here.

The last proof that we were far away from the pacific was the loud fighter planes that flew by every few minutes, I'm assuming they're going to or from the naval base, but it was neat to see all the different shapes of jets and helicopters.

We're definitely going to take some more trips to the beach, especially before Ryan gets completely lost in the law books and only comes home from the library to eat my fabulous cooking. :)


1 comment:

Beloved said...

Great to hear about the dolphins - what a neat experience! I bet you will bet another chance to run and get your camera - no doubt there are lots of dolphins on the east coast in the warm water. I know you will have an exciting year as you both grow together as one in the Lord - and yes he will enjoy your delicious cooking, baked in love - and of course always topped off with yummy ice cream in fun dishes! love and blessings, Laura