Monday, January 29, 2007

a short week.

My third monday here in the arctic feels like at least my 23rd. Its snowing yet again and I have to continue to remind myself that it hasn't been several months since I've been home. Fortunately the last very long two weeks are finally over and now I'm able to start out on a new week which will hopefully go by much faster and more enjoyably.
I'm surviving most of my classes, with a few more or less boring than others. I haven't been given a placement for my field experience yet, though, so that means at least one more morning to sleep in. I originally was assigned to an eighth grade Language Arts classroom about a half hour away, but since I don't have a car, I had to rely on another student who was working in the same middle school. However, this other student seems to have come up with a problem, so now I have to wait for a completely new assignment.
I do get to finally meet the second grader who I will soon begin mentoring from the local elementary school, so I am looking forward to that on Thursday, even though that will include a very cold, long walk through the possibly negative temperatures. (....you know, that could definitely qualify as at least the second hint in a row for a large purchase back at home....dad? and I don't mean a cell phone)
So overall, this week is looking hopeful, with routine beginning to settle in and at least a few of the stresses of a new semester being wrinkled out. Although I would like to request at least a few prayers for my education advisor who has begun a struggle with breast cancer.

1 comment:

The Lyons said...

i enjoyed our talk today - i'm sorry its so cold. one day at a time, trusting God, its the only way to go - love ya