Friday, January 07, 2011

About a year ago, my sister came to visit me and travelled with me to the western part of the state. Along with visiting some historical sites and enjoying the mountains (It still doesn't seem quite right to call those things mountains: they're not rocky, or snowy, or even very high), we visited some friends my sister knew from college. Now, this couple that we stayed with were packing up to move to a yurt in Alaska and were trying to get rid of anything that wouldn't quite fit in their flimsy dwelling up in the arctic. (Okay, so I have no idea what a yurt even looks like, it just doesn't seem like it could be all that sturdy).

So the point of this story is that before my sister and I came back home, I was given this:


It made me very happy. 1) because it reminded me of the one year that I had my very own room all to myself and got to decorate it with palm trees and lucky bamboo, and it was quiet and beautiful and the door had a lock. and 2) because I had no plants at my new apartment.

Here I am a year later and now I also have this:


These are one of the gifts in my mini stocking (interesting that stockings get smaller as you get larger) this Christmas. Little slimy water beads. Actually they're not really that slimy, just wet and kinda squishy.


Anyways, they're a beautiful orange (which matches my kitchen). I also took the chance to pull out this vase that I love but haven't really used at all since I got it.

If you haven't already guessed it, I'm thinking about putting these two together. But I'm nervous.

First of all, I don't want the bamboo to die. Second, it has a bunch of brown roots that might make the pretty orange into a not so pretty color. and Third, it might just look stupid.


I think I'm just going to sit here and stare at them for a while. Its so much easier than making a decision.

footnote: I have been using my photobooth/webcam to take blog pictures lately, which doesn't exactly take awesome pictures. The truth is that my camera is past its prime and since I lost the usb cord approx. 5 years ago its hardly worth the hassle. Also, all the little symbols and words on the back are rubbed off, so I can't ever tell if I'm making a video or zooming in or what.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Repeat after me, "Perfect is the Enemy of Done"