Easy questions, right? Not as easy as I thought. Nope, its not four. There are five. Can you name them?
Pacific
Atlantic
Indian
Arctic
Southern
That's right, your fourth grade teacher taught you wrong. Well, it was correct then, but not now. I always thought that there should be a separate ocean down there, but I would have named it the Antarctic.
Well, add that to your list of "when I was a kid..." statements.
When I was a kid Pluto was a planet. Russia wasn't called Russia (Okay, it might have been, I think we just had ancient textbooks). There were only four oceans.
Its kind of sad really, I even took a geography class in college. And while I didn't pay that close of attention, I would have noticed if we had learned about a fifth ocean.
Do you know how long the Southern Ocean has been defined? Ten years. So we were all clearly a little behind.
I would have thought that my father-in-law, with his love for geography, would have filled me in on some of the details... but I had to learn the hard way: by losing a game of sporcle.
1 comment:
Did you know that five years from now they plan on naming a new sixth ocean? Then everyone will need to buy a new map. Dad Haan
Post a Comment