Thursday, March 27, 2008

a second spring.

I realized today that Midwesterners are the definition of optimism. No matter what happens they always keep their chin up and remember that "it could be worse."

For example: yesterday was beautiful outside, the perfect spring weather: sunny, warm, a slight breeze, all you needed was a light jacket. Today however, there is several inches of snow on the ground. Its cold. Its windy.
But I walked into class this morning, and everyone was talking about how it really wasn't as cold as it could be this morning. And the snow will definitely melt later this week, so its almost like we're getting TWO Springs! Who could complain about that?

Also, my boss was telling me about how she had gotten married right around this time of year and on the afternoon of her wedding it was 83 degrees outside. But that night, there was a blizzard. But she just smiled and said that that's what makes life in the midwest so fun and exciting.

So I guess I have a lot to learn from them while I'm here. Not just how to avoid the slickest parts of an icy sidewalk or how to scrape off a frozen car, but to accept life as it comes and remember that things aren't quite as bad as they seem. Instead, I really do have it pretty good, even if it seems like the cold weather isn't every going to leave.

And most of all, it doesn't really do any good to complain, because you still have to go out and feed your calves when its snowing, whether you want to or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would pay big money for a picture of you feeding your calves - lve

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, your webcam looks quite pathetic this morning. I'm sorry! Remember, it could be worse, but I'm not really sure how. -lve