Since we're just renting our new house, we're trying to limit the time, effort, and money we put into the backyard. But the truth is that there's this thing in my genes, I think, that keeps me wanting to plant stuff and build stuff and make things pretty out there.
So here's the before shot:
And keep in mind, this is just the first stage of progress. I'm sure there will be many more updates in the future.
As you can see, there are several problem areas, not counting the encroaching jungle. The property manager had told us when we moved in that he would come over and mow the lawn the first time for us. So we waited...and waited (about two more weeks after this picture was taken). When I started getting the feeling that we might be in the process of remaking the set from Honey I Shrunk the Kids, I gave in and mowed. Now of course, when I say "I mowed" I don't mean myself in the strict sense of the word. It was really Ryan who mowed the lawn.
After mowing, we discovered a large pile of flat rocks--almost pavers really--in the back corner of the yard. Immediately I began brainstorming. I started by laying them out in the muddy and weedy almost-flowerbed next to the patio. We discussed the shape a little and decided on making a pathway to the yard.
With the beautiful weather this last weekend, we were able to dig out the dirt and small rocks and set in the stones.
Within an hour or two we could start to see it take shape.
By the time our arms started turning pink from the sun, we were getting pretty tired of shoveling dirt and packing down the stones. Let's just say, we were a little less careful and exact on the last part. We may have to come back and smooth them out a bit.
We also found quite a few treasures amidst our digging: A butter knife, a few legos, some marbles, some balls, and a mini Aladdin.
While Ryan went to pick up some gas for the lawn mower, I decided to take care of the very ugly ferns. I had originally wanted to replant them in some distant corner of the yard, because for some reason I have a hard time killing plants.
However, it soon became a battle to the death.
With another mow, the yard started to show its beauty.
We celebrated our accomplishments with a lovely backyard picnic. I think we're going to be spending quite a lot of time out here this summer.
Did you notice I even snuck Ryan in on one final picture? He's not a big fan of action shots.
1 comment:
what a nice yard, great job on the stones
mom h
Post a Comment