Saturday, August 30, 2008

procrastinating.

I survived the first week of school, barely. And I learned one overall lesson: Procrastination isn't as bad as they teach you in middle school. In fact, sometimes it works quite well.

So here's my story: First of all, I hate PE. I always have. The only reason that I survived it in junior high was the amazing teacher that we had that let us do crafts when it rained. But even then, I am still haunted by the times when the softball pitcher for the day would have to roll me the ball in order for me to hit it and I would spend half the day thinking of excuses to get out of the inevitable soccer game. 

Somehow I managed to generally avoid PE in high school, but here I am now in my last semester of college and what comes back to me? one last credit requirement. My individual sport PE. Now I have suffered through volleyball class and swimming class, and I thought, wasn't that enough? I understand the need for physical activity, but I do walk to class through the blinding snow for half the year. That seems sufficient to me.

So all of this leads up to now, the week of registration. What the proper student would have done was sign up for their last credit in April, at the same time as all of the other classes. But at that time I didn't want to think about another PE class. And here's where the procrastination begins. I thought, why not put it off until August, then I'll think about it.

However, as my responsible boyfriend continued to remind me over and over to sign up for that last class, I searched and found only one that fit into my schedule. (well two counting the 8:00 am one, but we don't count that one). This class is Racquetball. Now that didn't sound too bad, I like to play tennis, its kind of the same... But then one of my friends heard about that and suddenly she started to laugh and said, "I gave a girl a black eye in that class!!" I didn't laugh.

Now here's where the reward for my procrastination comes in: Resigned, I went online to register for the racquetball class, but the class was closed (shoot). So I emailed the instructor and explained my tragic dilemma and he asked me to come in to talk with him. I had to ask for directions to his office in the Rec Center (I've only been in there about 5 times), but once I went to see him, he explained that the only way that it would work is if I did a personal study. 

So now I get to keep a little chart of all of my "physical activity." As long as I fill in 30 minutes three times a week for the first half semester with things like walking or jogging or rollerblading, I get to graduate on time. And I am going to actually do what I write down, don't worry. No racquetball, no nightmares from middle school. Just me and whatever I want to do. Which for now, is procrastinate.

No comments: